Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Shack

I have just finished reading The Shack by William P. Young. In NC a couple in our small group highly recommended it. I finally bought a copy and started to read it. And then I couldn't put it down. I have to say, it was exactly what I thought it would be... but somehow more beautiful and wonderful. There were not really any new ideas or thoughts presented in the book, but they were presented in a very personal and tangible way. I've heard that there is a huge number of people whose lives have drastically changed after reading it, and that is a blessing to the world. And to God. But my life did not drastically change.

Why not?

Was it because the ideas were not new to me? Sure there were some great and wonderful issues discussed on faith, healing, forgiveness, love. Was it because I'm where I need to be in my faith journey? Oh, absolutely not! That's an absurd thought to say the least. So, why?

I think, for me, I am content. And that is the worst thing you can be. I also think that because I already "knew" the concepts and issues presented, there was no light bulb or burning bush as I read. And isn't it the worst thing in the world to know something, and do nothing about it... nothing to nurture and grow those thoughts or to put them into action?

So that is now my personal challenge. To read, to learn and know, and to actually do. I know it will be hard, and I know there will be many stumbling blocks. But what an incredible thing to grow closer in my walk with Jesus.

I want to see the tapestry of Life the way it was created.


(as a side, if you haven't read it... please do.)

No comments:

Post a Comment